Chartered Physiotherapists Provide Feedback on Deep Oscillation Therapy
With thanks to Alex and Joanna McLean
"Since I purchased my Deep Oscillation Personal Sports (aka PhysioPod) six years ago at the AACP Conference in Scotland, it has been a constant in our clinic. As MSK physios, we are seeing mostly the aches and pains from TMJ to plantar fasciitis, shoulder, hip and knee replacements . Loads of back pain  of one sort or another, and in the majority of these scenarios, deep oscillation therapy has been used. There are pre-set programs for all of the above, making setup a breeze.
Having large hands is advantageous in the application of low frequency oscillations to cover a wider area, in comparison to ultrasound. A few days ago, I treated a patient with osteoarthritis  in both knees and found it interesting that he specifically requested Deep Oscillation Therapy, as he found great relief of symptoms after one treatment session some time ago.
Another lady had very painful fibromyalgia , with low tolerance to any pressing on the skin and I was able to get a good result without undue pressure. These situations are typical of our working week, where the hands-on approach is greatly appreciated by the public, in light of the virtual offering of physio in our current climate of COVID.
Most people are intrigued with the machine and feel good with the idea that the effects of it go deep. I always have the literature at hand  to let them see visually the effect on the tissues to 8 cm.
So overall I would thoroughly recommend deep oscillation to any physio who is contemplating augmenting their present treatment setup."
Peterhead Physiotherapy Alex and Joanna McLean, Chartered Physiotherapists, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. AB42 1NZ
Telephone/Fax: 01779 474381 email@example.com Mobile 07814 545 430
Deep Oscillation has been presented at two AACP Conferences by Chartered Physiotherapists; Andrea Wright (2016), Chris Boynes (2018). It also featured in Nicky Snazell's presentation to AACP Members in 2017. PhysioPod UK are approved NHS Suppliers where Deep Oscillation is used in many Lymphoedema services to reduce oedema and fibrosis. It is especially beneficial in complex Lymphoedema such as head and neck, breast and genital Lymphoedema. The practical and easy application of deep oscillation has been a life changer in home management of Lymphoedema via different sized applicators or via supportive others as a massage. via gloved hands.
ABOUT DEEP OSCILLATION®
Unique, non-invasive and non-traumatic therapy method with strong pain-reducing potential.
DEEP OSCILLATION® is an internationally patented, proven technology based on the effects of creating an electrostatic field in the tissue of the patient. Easy application is from therapist to client via hygienic, vinyl gloved hands; utilizing all normal massage movements or via circular movements over the tissue with a handheld applicator. The handheld applicator also enables self-treatment.
The special structure of DEEP OSCILLATION® allows the creation of biologically effective oscillations in the treated tissue using electrostatic attraction and friction. In contrast to other therapies, these pleasant oscillations have a gentle and deep-acting effect on all tissue components to an 8 cm depth (through skin, connective tissue, subcutaneous fat, muscles, blood and lymph vessels.
Because of the non-invasive, non-traumatic, gentle nature of this therapy, very early possibilities of application are possible following injury and from Day One post operatively. Chronic conditions can also be worked upon with effective results.
The following physiological effects of DEEP OSCILLATION® are clinically proven:
- Highly effective in reducing pain
- Effective in reabsorbing oedema (swelling)
- Encouraging wounds to heal
- Fibrosis Reduction
- Improving trophicity
- Rubor reduction (haematoma/bruising)
- Improving quality of tissue
DEEP OSCILLATION IS NOT...
- Vladeva E. et al (2021) DEEP OSCILLATIONS- REDUCING EDEMA AND IMPROVING KINESIOLOGY IN THE EARLY STAGES AFTER KNEE JOINT ARTHROPLASTY J of IMAB. 2021 Jan-Mar;27(1):3577-3581 DOI: 10.5272/jimab.2021271.3577
- Zehtindjieva MG, Ioshinov BR, Andonov DR, Ilkov VS, Bayraktarova A. (2013): Deep Oscillation - A Modern Additional Physical Modality For Analgesia In Patients With Back Pain. PRAEMEDICUS 29, 85-90.
- Mratskova G., Dimitrov, N., & Petrov, D. (2019). EFFECTIVENESS OF COMPLEX REHABILITATION WITH DEEP OSCILLATION AND KINESITHERAPY FOR PAIN RELIEF IN PATIENTS WITH GONARTHRITIS. Knowledge International Journal, 26(4), 1071 - 1077 doi.org/10.35120/kij2802547M
- Kraft K, Kanter S, Janik H. Safety and effectiveness of vibration massage by deep oscillations: a prospective observational study. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2013;2013:679248. doi: 10.1155/2013/679248. Epub 2013 Oct 3. PMID: 24222779; PMCID: PMC3814103.
- Hernández Tápanes S. et al (2009): Value of deep oscillation therapy in the healing of AB burns, Cuban Journal of Physical Medicine &Rehabilitation RNPS 2244- FOLIO 148- ISSN 2078-7162 Rev Cub MFR v.2 n.1 City of La Havana Jan-June 2010.