The role of the British Lymphology Society is to actively promote professional standards amongst healthcare professionals.
PhysioPod™ UK Ltd became Corporate Members of the BLS earlier in 2014 and were delighted to be invited to exhibit at this years' Conference, the 29th event of its kind, entitled "Treating The Whole Person".
BLS Chair, Nina Linnitt opened the Conference on Sunday 5th October and over the course of three days, the talks and workshops covered many subjects including:-
- Acupuncture reduces symptom burden, improves motivation and self care in non ca related lower limb lymphoedema: 3 case studies, Beverley de Valois
- Advanced imaging in Lymphoedema, Liesbeth Vandermeeren
- Anatomy & Physiology of free vascularised lymph node transfer for both upper and lower limb lymphoedema, Anne Dancey
- Developing ICF Core Sets for Lymphoedema, Peter Viehoff
- Development of a Self-report tool: Lymphoedema Genitourinary Cancer Questionnaire (LGUCQ), Rhian Davies
- Pressures applied by Lymphoedema compression garments, Results of laboratory testing, Gavin Hughes
- Exploring patient perception of success and benefit in self-management tool of breast cancer-related arm lymphoedema, Eunice Jeffs
- Head and Neck case series to underpin the development of locally agreed head and neck assessment and treatment guidelines, including the development of a head and neck quality of life assessment tool, Rebecca Elwell
- Integrated Prevention of Disability Programme (IPOD) due to lymphatic filariasis (IPOD) and leprosy in India, Rajni Singh, LEPRA
- Is tissue dielectric constant (TDC) a useful tool for midline oedema? Jane Wigg
- Lymphoedema service provision for individuals with head and neck oedema: reporting 4 year data, Eunice Jeffs
- Lymphofluroscopy, a helpful tool in the visualisation of lymphatics during surgery, Liesbeth Vandermeeren
- Myofascial release: Background, definitions, evidence and pitfalls, Willie Fourie
- Obesity and Lymphoedema Management - Ethical Challenges, Jodie Denniss
- Prevalance of lymphoedema in women who attended a 'reducing your risk of lymphoedema" class between 2000-2005, Eunice Jeffs
- Prevalence within a Lymphoedema/chronic oedema service providing a population based service in a Uk inner city borough, Catriona O'Neill
- Service development inititiave; Classifying our patient population; a presentation of data sets from across the United Kingdom and a comparison of local variations and similarities, Garry Cooper and Melanie Thomas
- Service Provision for Paediatric Lymphoedema (CLSIG)
- Surgery for Lymphoedema Management, Francesco Boccardo
- The All Wales Lymphoedema Service and Community Pharmacy Wales Collaborative Project, Melanie Thomas
- The Development of the role of the Lymphoedema Associate Practitioner, Rebecca Elwell
- The psychosocial aspects of lymphoedema, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Jane Durston
- The Therapists role following surgical procedures for Lymphoedema, Mary Woods
- The Use of Liposuction for Lymphoedema Patients, Alex Munnoch
- Tissue Work: an evaluation and treatment strategy, Willie Fourie
- What is the patients' perspective about lymphoedema? A qualitative research, Peter Viehoff
- Wounds and Compression for patients with diabetes and peripheral arterial disease (a review), Yvnne Pennisi
Many delegates found the time between talks and workshops to visit the exhibitors and PhysioPod™ UK Ltd enjoyed meeting therapists already using DEEP OSCILLATION® and other healthcare professionals eager to experience DEEP OSCILLATION® such was the buzz around the Conference. Many delegates have booked demonstrations for the months ahead. Jane Durston, BLS Operations Manager gave the following feedback on her treatment
"I would like to say thank you so much for my treatment yesterday. I slept like the proverbial log and this morning is the first time in five months I woke up without backache."
Willie Fourie took on DEEP OSCILLATION® after first experiencing the therapy in 2012, he re-visited us at BLS 2014 to discuss his thoughts on his two years of use.
Pictured above treating Alex Munnoch at MLDuk 2012.
The Gala Dinner and Awards Ceremony (sponsored by Haddenhams) on Monday evening was very well-attended with delicious food and wine. Julie Soroczyn of PhysioPod™ UK Ltd was her usual lucky self and won a Betty's Tea Rooms Hamper in the raffle.
The entertainment got off to a tremendous start with many taking immediately to the dance floor.
PhysioPod™ UK Ltd are already looking forward to the BLS Conference and AGM 2015, BLS's 30th Anniversary.
Venue for BLS 2014 Annual Conference
www.thebls.com is a registered charity. BLS members consist of health care professionals, as well as others who are directly involved in the management of lymphoedema. Members are encouraged to actively participate in helping to further the work of the society.
Alex Munnoch, Consultant Plastic Surgeon, Ninewells Hospital, Dundee pictured with Julie Soroczyn, Managing Director of PhysioPod following his DEEP OSCILLATION® massage. The therapy is successfully used at Ninewell's in the breast reconstruction ward.
Julie applies DEEP OSCILLATION® therapy through gloved hands, the electrode is adhered to ankle viral a spiral lead, the patient holds a titanium bar.Talcum powder is used to help therapy glide over the skin.
The best "poster winner" was awarded to the CLSIG team, aka Children's Lymphoedema Specialist Interest Group. PhysioPod recently attended Lymphaletics 2014 and were truly impressed with the team and their work, see pictures of the event here. http://lymphaletics.weebly.com/gallery.html Mary Fickling, Co-Director at PhysioPod helped to raise funds for Lymphaletics by completing a half-marathon on rollerblades
Winner of the "best poster" award BLS 2014 - The Children's Lymphoedema Specialist Interest Group
Poster "New Hopes for Patients Living With Lipoedema". The poster was to promote awareness and alert healthcare professionals of the condition previously misdiagnosed as simple obesity. Lipoedema UK, in collaboration with the RCGP have launched a new elearning online course for GP's and other healthcare professionals to learn about diagnosis and management of the condition. Learn more http://elearning.rcgp.org.uk/lipoedema. (Poster artwork donated by Http://www.chrisficklingdesign.co.uk and printed courtesy of PhysioPod® UK Ltd)
BLS Award Winners announced at The Gala Dinner
PhysioPod® UK Limited wish to thank the BLS Scientific Committee and supporting team for their hard work and organisation in putting together such a thorough Conference with enthusiasm and professionalism.